The Motto, from Lucretius, translates; Coat of Arms
“They hand on the Torch of Life” The School was granted its present Coat of Arms by the College of Heralds in 1932.

The open book represents the Bible; the stars are those of the Southern Cross; the shell represents the connection between the School and St. James' School, from whose funds the School was founded; while the Torch refers to the School's motto.


Whilst "鶹ӰԺ' is the School's official title, "Shore" is widely used and recognised in the community. The origin of this is clearly stated in the E.R.Holmes' book covering the history of the School's first sixty years (page 55).

"It was the boys themselves who invented 'Shore' in the earliest days of the School when...they had occasion to cheer their representatives in traditional sports." Finding it impossible to shout the full name and with 'Grammar' already in use by an older school, they shortened the officially termed 'North Shore' to the one-syllabled 'Shore'. Holmes concludes, "By convention 'Shore' is now the School's familiar and well-loved name". This is still the case and indeed for many people is the only identification.

005574  005566